A quick post on a Sunday afternoon


 It seems I'm always posting (when I do) on Sundays.  I think it's because I don't usually plan much on Sundays save the usual get-togethers we have as a family.  I try to keep my activities to that and the odd church thing.  The past couple of weeks have been busy-ish.  Right now I'm not sure if anyone is coming over since everyone seems to have different things in the works.  That's fine, the standing invitation comes with zero strings - just need to know enough in advance for the obvious practical reasons.  Anyway, thought I'd update this blog or at least show a few signs of life;)!

Though I've had relatively few court appearances this summer, the past week was busier than usual.  I had a number of visits all over the place and was giving a presentation on a new statute at our annual in-house legal training.  That took place all day on Friday and was incredibly helpful and informative. We had a legislative and case law update and a terrific presentation by a social worker who specializes in home studies of relative placements.  It was nice to see the others in the firm as we rarely get a chance to see the attorneys from other counties in the state on a day-to-day basis.  A lot of the topics may sound dry, but they really weren't.  You'll just have to trust me on that.  One of our attorneys is expecting her second child in  September and we had a little "sprinkle" for her during one of the breaks.  (I think that's what they call mini showers these days, LOL.) And a number of us were recognized for being with the firm for a long time.  I was by no means the longest-term employee, but I was touched to be recognized  - with the gift of a beautiful watch -for seventeen years with them - the best of my professional life!  I hope to continue for as long as I'm able.  I keep saying they're going to have to take me out back and shoot me to get me to leave.  

On the crafting front, as the picture as the photo at the top of the page would indicate, I finished the second woven scarf - this time with a houndstooth pattern.  It was a real blast seeing that pattern show itself after relatively few rows! John liked it.  It's not as long as the other one, but he doesn't tie his scarves, so it should work fine for him.  Here's an idea of the actual length:

 Maybe about 48-50 inches/122-127 cm? A little shorter than the usual 72 inches/183 cms I would normally knit. But it worked out.  

I decided to get right back on the horse and a couple of days later warped the loom, this time with the intent of creating a blue/beige plaid with a couple of bright highlights.  I am not sure about this - I am a very very beginning weaver - but I believe a true plaid might require something more than what I did? It seems to be working out, but the darker colors really overpower the lighter ones to the extent that one almost doesn't see the mix.  That might be a matter of simply choosing the correct colors.  I like it though.  This one will be for my son, Danny.
Not much completed on it - all it will take is a few hours of attention and it will be done before I know it! 

In the meantime, I am more dragging out than banging out a Nordiska sweater. I have made some progress, and true to my nature, have departed from the pattern. I will have to depart some more and add some crochet to that (*&)(&!!! rolling up edge on the bottom.  (No, I did not remember to purl when I could....grrrr.)

 I also played a bit fast and loose with the colorwork, because, well, I had to.  I only had so much of each color and was starting to run out of all of them.  The sleeves will be shorter and consequently wider and the colorwork will be different.  After adding to the bottom, I intend to block the hell out of this thing.  with. a. steam. iron. Don't call YPS (Yarn Protective Services)!
Well, it looks like we are going to have our two oldest grandgirls with us to dinner this evening.  I bet we will have a terrific time!:)  In the meantime, I probably should clean up a bit!

So, that's all for now.  Be safe my friends, please stand up for justice and until next time, God be with you 'til we meet again+

Comments

Popular Posts