Pandemic Diary: Days of Grief and Pain




To say I am beyond disgusted by the grandstanding, cruelty, lack of leadership and downright evil among people in our government and their lackeys who should know better would be the understatement of the century.  I am a lot of angry and do not have the words that are appropriate to place in this blog.  I am an older person, likely in the latter years of my life.  I have arthritis, obesity, a bad gallbladder, thinning hair, a vitamin deficiency, and other problems you don't want to know about.  I wish I were in my twenties and able to get to Baltimore or DC and give 'em hell, but I'm not. All I can do is resolve to root out the evils of racism in my own soul, resolve to never accept it publicly or privately, and pray as if there were no tomorrow.- and vote!!!

Life has been moving along despite a pandemic that, despite the double-speak you hear on the news, is still making people sick and claiming lives.  We are gradually opening up in various ways and I suppose that needs to happen.  One example is a birthday gathering at the home of our youngest and her wife.  She wanted a "pride cake" and our penultimate offspring obliged.  It was delicious.  We practiced social distancing at the party - sitting at least six feet away from each other and wearing masks when we couldn't do so. It was nice to see everyone while sitting outside and enjoying the beautiful spring evening.  Occasionally our second oldest stops by with her two, masks to the ready and we have little visits.  I went so far as to hug my granddaughters today - we were all wearing masks and have been careful all along, so I hope that won't have any ill effects on anyone.  Our first-born hosts a weekly Zoom meeting for anyone who cares to join in on Sundays.  

The next phase of opening the courts to the public starts at the end of this week.  We have been told the rule will be for remote hearings unless a request is made otherwise.  I think that is wise.  My husband has a couple of decisions to make about his work situation. I should find out in the next few days when my surgery will be.  Our Third Adult Offspring settles on and moves into her new home, along with the Penultimate Offspring.  It will be interesting to see what furniture remains:)! A lot is up in the air.  We didn't know the future before, so why should we now:)? I am grateful for having a roof over our heads, extended family to support each other, and gainful employment.  



KNITTING

You know that was coming, didn't you? Good Lord, I have thrown all worries about never finishing anything to the four winds.  I think I have started at least three or four more projects and have another that I will start as soon as the movers take the boxes blocking my access to some of the yarn. 

As you can see above, I've started and made a great deal of headway on the Calla shawl by Natasja Hornby.  She is fast becoming another one of my favorite shawl designers. It is practically knitting itself.  The yarn is just gorgeous and the pattern is just difficult enough to keep it interesting without tearing one's hair out.  



I needed to order another skein of the solid blue from Magpie Fibers this morning.  I have no idea when it will arrive, so I will knit on this until I have to wait.  

I also started on The Throwback by Andrea Mowry and in so doing made an Executive Decision.  I detest knitting fair isle flat, so I decided to knit nine extra stitches in the center front and do a crochet steek when the time comes to "cardiganize*" this thing. This picture does not do the yoke colors justice.  I am past the yoke and have about 10 rows to go before dividing for sleeves and body. That's when we get to the mindless knitting stage so conducive to knitting gatherings and tv watching. 

I found yet ANOTHER sweater in stash - another one I thought I had frogged! It's the Lempster pullover by Norah Gaughan for Knitty.  It's knit in a discontinued yarn called "Second Chance Cotton" which has a marled quality remarkably like the picture in the pattern albeit in a different hue. Again, I will have to start taking more pictures during times of sunlight.  This is not great. 



CROSS STITCH

Good news: I finally finished a small project! Mixed news: I now have added about twenty more, LOL! Watching YouTube videos is NOT the way to avoid buying - in case you wondered.  I posted about this finish in my earlier blogpost about Memorial Day. It needs finishing and framing.  I got a little frame from Michaels that should be arriving in a day or two.  


To give you an idea of how slow I am with cross-stitch, it really did take me about 10 hours.  And it's tiny.  So when I say that 30-40 cross-stitch samplers are a SABLE stash for me at age 66, I mean it. Unless of course, I get faster.  ;)

I set the Maryland Seal and the St. Michaels projects aside to make a start on this:

This year is the 100th anniversary, so I figured I should try to get it done before 12/31/20.

Well, time for dinner.  Be well everyone and be safe - and
God be with you 'til we meet again +

*I first heard this word used by Meg Swansen in her "Cardigan Details" video. 


Comments

Popular Posts