I am not Whinebecking.

I have wanted to go to Rhinebeck for many years now.  It's in upstate New York, about a half-day drive from here in Central Merlin, but finding a place to stay, even if sharing it with others, is a bit problematic.  Also, it usually falls on or near the weekend of the Columbia Sip 'n Knit's annual Fall Retreat - something I would hate to miss. A high school friend of mine, Eileen, lives in the Buffalo area and every so often makes it to Rhinebeck.  I keep hoping we can meet up there someday, maybe.

But not this year.  And that's Oh Kay. It turns out that in six days, the DH and I will be flying to West Palm Beach, FL to see our son in their regional theater's production of Streetcar Named Desire.  Danny will be reprising a role he played for Everyman Theatre here in Baltimore.  He's already said he's getting even deeper into the role.  It's very intense, this play. I know we will once again be transported to another place and time watching this drama and I will once again see the character he is playing and forget it's my own son on the stage.  My stepmother, Maureen will be coming with us as well, which will be a treat.

After that, we are headed for the other side of Florida to see John's sister, Jane and her husband, Ken and hopefully their daughter, Mary and at least one of Mary's kids, Emma.  We'll see:).  Anyway, as much as I love knitting, family comes first.

Not to say that I'm missing out on some good stuff.  The following weekend is the annual Fall Knitting Retreat at the Bishop Claggett Center.  No, this is not a religious retreat, BELIEVE me:)! (What happens at Knitting Retreat, stays at Knitting Retreat - and that generally involves a bit of wine drinking...).I am planning on taking a bunch of projects with me, to wit:
The plaid scarf I haven't worked on in over a month for Danny:












The St. Michaels Museum cross stitch project (see previous blog posts)

And the following knitting projects:

The Iqaluit Shawl:






The Finella Shawl (a new cast-on):

Causation/Correlation Scarf and/or Hat:
Andand I hope to cast on Flower Buds:
And Ziggy!








Will I get all that done? No way, but I'm going to try.

Decided to frog my attempt at the What the Fade shawl.  I will probably do it in the future, but for now decided to repurpose the yarn to make another Joji Locatelli pattern: Fading Point.


And finally, I am VERY close to finishing the Rhapsody in Cables sweater.  In fact, am hoping to get it done this week.  Am about 2/3 done with the back and then all I have to do is the neck and bottom ribbings and blocking.  As you can see, it's very much an oversized sweater.  I expect it to be large on me - and squishy and warm! Despite global warming, we will have a winter this year anyway:)!

Here's the back:


And here's the front:


It has been an absolute riot knitting this sweater! The design was so interesting and it kept the attention - so much so that I have been remarkably monogamous for the past month! That doesn't sound right, but what can I say?

In other news, one of my offspring and her spouse are coming over tonight and they will be figuring out dinner with two other progeny.  The DH will likely be sleeping as he is working tonight - probably to save PTO for our trip next week. I will be taking my two eldest grandgirls out to dinner.  Hope I can behave:)! Tomorrow is a day off for me - the courts are closed on Columbus/Indigenous Peoples Day here in the US, even though schools are open (go figure), so tonight is more like a Saturday than a Sunday.

Speaking of Sunday, two bad knees have made my bi-weekly trips to the Cathedral a lot more painful than I anticipated.  I decided to attend church closer to home just down the street from me at St. Peter's church - a community much much smaller, but full of heart and life. I look forward to joining them and hope I can be of some use.

As I type this, I am mindful of the fact that all our plans can be changed at a moment's notice.  I just learned that the husband of one of my dearest friends left this mortal coil sometime late this morning.  I am so sad for her and for their family.  They were married for 53 years. Although she - and I - were somewhat prepared for this to happen, I was surprised at the shock and sadness I felt when I learned this news.  I cannot imagine her pain right now.  My prayers are with them as they go through this awful time and sustain such a life-changing blow. May the Angels watch over them.

Sorry to end this on such a sad note.  Be kind to each other, fight for justice, and God be with you 'til we meet again+

Comments

Popular Posts