Lazy Industry:)

This weekend was looking to be a lot of fun... until yesterday afternoon. Before I begin, the hearts of so many of my countrymen and women are breaking - yet again!-  for the victims of the latest acts of domestic violence/white terrorism rampant in this country.  Good Lord. What the f*CK is it going to take? When I hear this stuff, about streets running with blood, a woman dying while shielding her two-month-old, her husband as yet unaccounted for - I admit I don't have any high-minded words. I feel rage. I want vengeance, as I know there is no human vengeance other than one death, maybe.  Interesting factoid (I think): Texas is an "open carry" state, correct? Funny how that didn't protect people at the mall. Will better gun laws prevent another such incident? Probably not, as they are so hard to predict.  But those laws WILL prevent the everyday violence, the 300 or so annual murders per city in the US, the domestic violence-related murders, that occur. Our lawmakers need to grow a set. A big brass set.E.NOUGH.

Weaving
Before the proverbial hit the fan, Saturday was a fun one. The last of the four weaving classes I took to learn rigid heddle weaving ended with a scarf.  Not the prettiest thing and the colors were weird.  But a finished scarf nonetheless. My compatriots were a lovely bunch and we were all very grateful for our incredibly competent - and kind:) - Stephanie. I was happy to get a picture of everyone's work off the loom and unfinished.


 Mine is at the top, Nikki's is in the middle and the other Stephanie's is at the bottom.  As I often do when I am knitting with others, I admire the color choices of others - I sure had reason to do so this time, LOL:)!

I think my favorite was Mila's scarf - she had a wonderful way of combining vibrant colors, including the incorporation of rainbow-dyed locks of wool into her weaving. It was a work of art.  I kept thinking it would make a wonderful vestment for a priest in a celebration of life.
Isn't it gorgeous? While there, I got a book with weaving patterns.  I was particularly interested in the houndstooth pattern.  Stephanie said it was an easy pattern.  I didn't realize HOW easy it truly is! Turns out I had a store credit and was able to obtain the book for relatively little.  In any event, I highly recommend it!                                      When I got home, I washed my scarf and hung it out to dry.  It didn't look so terrible once I did that, but I decided that I needed to get back to the rigid heddle loom and warp me  - or this time the husband - another one. And of course, I went for houndstooth and a MUCH more subdued palette.

The multicolored brown really adds interest. Definitely a little easier on the eyes.

Knitting

Remarkably monogamous and therefore not much to report- probably because I am he** bent on finishing things, especially the Nordiska I wanted to "bang out" (to coin a Mason-Dixon Knitting phrase:)). Work and other crafts sometimes get in the way of actually getting a sweater done in a weekend, and I have a bit more acreage and therefore more knitting to which a brief glance in my general direction will attest. So it takes me a little while longer to "bang out" anything.  I made some progress and am about done with the body colorwork. Am playing yarn chicken with the main color and may put the body on some waste yarn and knit the sleeves and neck ribbing before finishing the bottom of the sweater. Might have to get creative with the colorwork colors. There is so much rolling up of the stockinette in this thing that one can barely see how far one has gotten. Cannot wait to knit the ribbing.  


Cross Stitch

Work continues on the St. Michaels Maritime Museum by Barbara Noel of Cadle Creek - a WIP in its 34th year.  I started it shortly before my youngest was born and she recently turned 33! It's a well-drawn cross-stitch pattern and very true to its subject. Like the Maryland Sampler by the same designer, it is a fond memento of our time living in St. Michaels and a tribute to the wonderful people who live on Maryland's Eastern Shore.
Picture courtesy of the Chesapeake Maritime Museum website.

 I keep the needlework next to my chair in the den so that I am reminded daily to work on it.  I have to be much more careful now as my older eyes are not as good for close work as they used to be. There are a number of cross stitch pieces I want to finish in the future.  Most are recent purchases. A few have languished in storage for years. I will do one at a time and see.  

They will be the subject of my next blog post. This one has gone on a bit long.

Life

Nothing much new.  A couple of family birthdays, a few get-togethers.  Thankfully everyone is well.  Work continues.  This week had some truly lovely and happy moments in the midst of a lot of suffering.  I am always grateful for those.  When a parent does what they're supposed to do, when a kid goes home, it makes my heart sing.  That's what we're here for.  

This is a quiet, somewhat lazy, Sunday.  The gang is not coming over because the DH is working. Next week, it's just the DH and me as the three who are sojourning with us are away - two with sister and sister-in-law to New England and the other house- and dog-sitting for the latter.  I have court tomorrow and no hearings until the following week.  Have a presentation to prepare for at a firm-wide training later in the week, but other than that, it's pretty quiet, so I will get caught up on client visits and meetings as well.  The weather here in Merlin has been quite nice.  Tomatoes are growing, the grandkids are enjoying the summer and getting brown as berries.  S's herb garden is thriving on the back deck.  Dinner with my college friend Paul and his partner Jim was wonderful.  In an hour the years melted away, despite a terrible lack of sleep the night before on my part.  The colors of Bronycon and Orioles fans mixed together well where we had dinner near Oriole Park at Camden Yard.  I learned a lot about Bronycon and was so happy to meet Jim.  And dinner was absolutely delicious Thai food in a little restaurant near the Marriott Hotel. How one man could do so much with only another person helping him was a wonder to behold.  Added bonus: When Paul went to pay the tab (thank you for the treat, Paul!), the owner told Paul that he frequently went to New Hampshire and Maine because he loved their seafood! I got home blessedly early, as Paul and Jim had activities planned at the Convention, and continued a quiet evening at home. Life is good.  I have nothing to complain of. 

More to come in my next post. Until then,
God be with you 'til we meet again+


Comments

Popular Posts