Midsummer

The above has not been an unusual scene for this summer.  I shot the video during a tornado warning in my area. We do not live in Tornado Alley in the south-central part of our country. We live in Congressman Elijah Cummings' 7th Congressional District. And proudly so. He is a class act, unlike our Loser-in-Chief. Enough about that. (Except to say I am watching Jon Waters' interview with Joy Reid and laughing with relief that humor still exists during The Regime.)
Oh, while I'm on my soapbox for a minute, please know dear 1.5 readers, that I support Ravelry.  And I detest racism and what is happening at our southern border.  If you don't like me for that, too bad. 
*           *          *              *                *               *              *              *             *           *
As I sit here typing this on a Sunday afternoon, the sky is clear and beautiful, but it is hot outside. It's a great day for the beach, where the ocean breeze takes the heat and gives back cool relief, water, and play. I'm not at the beach, but am happy for those who are. Meanwhile, I remain eternally grateful for air conditioning and its requisite electrical supply - without which knitting would be very difficult! 
I think all or most of our progeny are coming by for dinner this evening and so am stalling before doing the cleaning and dinner prep (what else is new?) by writing a few lines before starting.  I mean, how long can it take to vacuum, clean a kitchen, make a salad and stick a frozen lasagna in the oven?  Yeah, Suzy Homemaker is not my forte' as many of my nearest and dearest will attest. 

This weekend, I'd like to say I was assiduously working on my week's work, catching up on everything. 

Nope.

But some crafting has been happening this weekend. 

Beginning Friday and throughout the weekend, work continued on the Nordiska. I couldn't stand it anymore, so I started on the colorwork section in the intense hope that the top line of this pattern doesn't begin in An Awkward Place on the body.  I don't think it will, given the proper blocking (and underwear!!).  I also added about three additional colors.  Because I could. Hoping to finish this before September.  I'd say I have a good chance.

Am now done with 3 of 4 weaving classes.  Am about ready to hemstitch and take my first weaving effort off the loom. It will be a respectably shabby scarf and I will wear it with pride - or palm it off on some unsuspecting schmoe (Kidding!;) no I'm not.)
There are ways I learned to keep track of how long your work is, but I had started weaving a substantial amount before I could employ them.  We warped 145 inches -  far more than the length of anything other than a "Dr. Who" scarf - I figure I'm at least halfway done with that.  Even with the usual waste and shrinkage, I should be good to go.  Or I'll have a very ugly table runner.  And that's Oh Kay....
I photographed the loom from the side so that I could see how many times the woven fabric was wrapped around the front thingie (apron? - just learning the terminology). Here's an earlier progress pic:

LOL! As you can see, it's hard to tell!

While I'm on the subject, I have to tell you how much I really like our local yarn shop - Cloverhill Yarn Shop in Catonsville, MD (that's short for "Merlin").  It welcomes any and all who come to knit, crochet, weave, spin, and probably a bunch of other homespun crafts I can't remember.  When you walk in, you are greeted with a cheerful "Hi!" And you receive this same welcome whatever your race, ethnic origin, ability or disability, you name it.  It's not a commune, it's not Nirvana, they are there to make a living and to make a profit - that's what businesses do.  And they seem to have put their finger on the pulse of the extended community's need for needlework products, from well, needles all the way to weaving looms, spinning wheels, spindles, and of course, yaaaarrrrnnn! They are a younger group (they would probably laugh to hear me say that), but they welcome a lot of us older ones.  I've gotten to know some of them by name now: Wae and Amanda (owners), Stephanie (our weaving instructor who did an amazing job herding four cats;)) and a bunch of other folks by sight.  I have never felt that "omg they think I'm a shoplifter" or "I'm not one of the cool kids" vibe those of us who have been knitters/weavers/spinners have felt at times in other places.  If you're in the area, give them a try.  You will be pleasantly impressed!

Life

A very nice person - and dear colleague - recently retired after a long career of helping kids in many ways.  She will be sorely missed.  I hope she and her husband can enjoy the coming years together.  My stepmom came back from a long trip to Europe where she scattered some of my father's ashes on Lake Cuomo - so fitting as they were seasoned travelers who used their money to create memories. Another colleague - and friend - will be celebrating a milestone birthday at the end of next month.  Am looking forward to the festivities:). And this coming Friday, I shall be enjoying a dinner with my wonderful college friend Paul and his partner Jim during Bronycon.  Cannot wait:)! They both live in New England, so we don't get to see each other much, but you know how it is.  You sit down and start talking and the years just disappear!

Things here are moving along as usual.  Not much new happening midsummer.  In the middle of summer vacation, commuting traffic is generally much better. Our daughter, S., who does most of the gardening here, has had a good crop of cucumbers, and we're also beginning to see tomatoes - at least the ones the deer don't eat! We have an abundance of herbs, like my favorite - basil - on the back deck. Life abounds.  Hope abounds.  And I am grateful.  

As many of my fellow believers say, TBTG (trans: Thanks be to God).  As many of my non-believing loved ones say: Thank the Myth:)!
Joseph Campbell tells us that Myths are essential truth, so: Whatever your journey, God be with you, 'til we meet again+

Comments

Popular Posts