Wishing You All a Very Happy New Year!

Hello, dear reader.  I hope your holidays were merry and that life surrounded you with the people you love and who love you. It's true we say this every year, but hasn't this year just sped by? As my husband always used to say at the end of a vacation or day off engaged in fun activities, "I don't know about you kids, but I had a good time." This year has not been all sweetness, light and ease - like many, I've had my share of worries, but in the end as my dear friend-from-another-time-warp, Julian of Norwich, used to say, "All shall be well, and all shall be well and in all manner of things, all shall be well.":)

So, as I said, a lot of life has happened.  The young lady standing up amid a group of business-dressed individuals (with her father, sister, S, and I sitting in the back behind her) is our youngest, J, standing up at the Merlin Court of Appeals, just prior to being sworn in as another member of the Bar of Merlin - just two days shy of 24 years from the day yours truly did the same. J will be practicing immigration law in another state, but she got admitted here, "just in case." Immigration law practice just requires admission to the Bar in any state in the nation, so she's good with this one. J's GF, L, couldn't make it, and we only had two tickets, but there was room for a third person - her next older sister, S, who recently herself completed her Master's in Anthropology and is now looking to attend law school. If her writing ability and her recent LSAT performance are any indication, somehow I think she will.  I am not bragging, merely stating facts...;)


Christmas was the usual marathon for me.  So much so that I am seriously considering cutting back on some of my activities next year.  Playing/singing in three services from 4:15 p.m. to the wee hours of the next morning is not my idea of enjoying Christmas.  Maybe I'm getting old, but I think with maturity comes a recognition of one's limitations. Thankfully, my kids sprang to the rescue the next day.  My son-in-law, D, cleaned the kitchen and bathroom, two more of my darlings worked out the seating and the place settings and B and R did the dishes like a pair of turbo engines! It was fabulous!

Two days later, our daughter, K, the one whose family went through a divorce last year, got remarried and we gained three more grandchildren:)! They had already been married at the courthouse a few months ago, so they asked me to say a few prayers we could all join in.  And then we all had a lovely lunch and "hung out" with each other.  The children had a great time.  K's new husband, also a K, has three young adult children, all of whom were a delight to meet and so kind to the little ones! Both K and his ex have done a wonderful job raising them.  They must all be so proud.  Also present were K's mother, Ann and father, Ernie, two lovely people. A fine time was had by all! So of course I have a gazillion pics here because I couldn't think of one to delete - J's significant other, L, sent us so many good ones! Thank you, L! You did it again:)!

So, here I am again, inundating you with pictures, dear reader, and catching up a month's work of life. My goal next year is to post daily with much smaller posts - certainly a goal that is specific, measurable and ... do-able!

MUSIC: The service for the new Suffragan Bishop in November went well.  It was wonderful, our three choirs singing together.  The Episcopal Cathedral in Baltimore has an interesting history: it is about a third the size it was intended to be.  Construction started in the late 1920s and only one transept was completed before funding ran out, thanks to the 1929 stock market crash. So, although it was initially meant to be larger than our National Cathedral, it is a small edifice, much beloved nonetheless.
In case you are interested, here is a link to the actual Evensong service, replete with music, homily, pomp and circumstance.
http://episcopalmaryland.org/choral-evensong-to-welcome-bishop-chilton-knudsen-november-8/

As I said earlier, Christmas was wonderful as always, but MAN was I tired! I think the sad thing about getting older is we don't have the energy to do all the things we want to do- or perhaps it was just being sick on and off for two months.  We'll see how things go next year:)


KNITTING       As for knitting, you KNOW there's been knitting..... The good news is, Christmas was WARM in this part of the Northern/Western hemisphere. The bad news is, Christmas was WARM in this part of the
Northern/Western hemisphere. OK, the five sweaters for the grandkids were not finished in time for Christmas and WHO CARES! It was TOO hot anyway.  They would not have appreciated a sweater in 70 degree (Fahrenheit) weather. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. HOWEVAH... I am VERY far along in the process. For 4 of the 5 sweaters, the knitting is done.  All that is left is blocking and in the case of the two cardigans, buttons and buttonholes need to be completed. Even with the fifth sweater, all I have to do is 1.5 rather short and narrow sleeves (compared to adult sizes), so really, about what do I have to complain?:) By the time these babies are done, they will (1) fit the recipient (I HOPE!!) and


(2) be appropriate for the weather. Win -win:)

I am chafing at the bit to get these done because there are at least three or four others I want to work on in January for myself and others.



Not bad progress for an old lady - and actually the last two pictures are further along in their progress.

Well, my friends, that's all I have for an update.  I am sure I am forgetting far too many things. One thing of which I am certain: my gratitude to all who have posted and befriended me, here, on ravelry, on twitter and on facebook. I am grateful for so many things, family, friends, a career I love representing the best clients in the world with the best team of human beings I know.
Thank you for your friendship and your time and thank God (however you perceive Her -or not) for all my blessings.
Here's hoping that 2016 will be our best year yet!
Happy New Year and God be with you 'til we meet again+







Comments

Popular Posts