Gently Ending

Summer seems to be ending on a gentle note after the havoc of earthquakes and hurricanes.  Labor Day weekend always used to signal the end of summer, harvest and the beginning of the academic year.  This summer flew by - as each one does year after year, taking less time (or so it seems) in the process. I've done quite a bit of driving, as I usually do, visiting clients.  Yesterday I decided (and thankfully the GPS agreed) not to use the Washington Beltway to get to Gaithersburg.  It was a very pleasant ride, filled with the greens that signal the end of summer - greens with just a hint of gold on the horizon. It's still hot outside, but there's a difference. Autumn is coming very soon.
Before I continue, I just want to express my gratitude for all the workers who came before us, who gave their energy, their resources (however limited) and for some, their reputation, freedom, and lives, so that the average worker has a chance at a decent way of life.  If not for them, I don't know how many of us would even be in existence today, let alone having roofs over our heads and food in the pantry. So, thank you and Happy Labor Day for all of you who continue the fight (and you know who you are, Dad and Maureen!:)).
Prior to the weekend, in spite of the loss of electricity, I was able to get a bunch of work done.  There's tons to do yet, but that's the way it is. Saturday morning, we had the grandgirls over.  It was a lazy, lovely day and a continuation of the wonderful time I had Friday evening, knitting and watching Elizabeth Zimmermann and Meg (and Chris) Swansen's "Knitting Around" - a wonderful video collaboration. 
I spent the greater part of that night and much of yesterday evening (once I was done with that visit in Montgomery County) working on the Westknits' Mystery KAL Shawl.  I decided to work a little of my own whimsy with it.  Instead of intarsia or the two options presented in the last clue, I did a garter stitch, mosaic or slipped stitch pattern and finished with a picot bind-off. I finally got to use the blocking "puzzle pieces" from KnitPicks and their blocking pins.  I probably could have gotten a second set to make things easier, but the one set I got worked just fine.  It was great to block this shawl the way it needed to be blocked.  What difference from merely using an iron to press!


 I unpinned it when I got back from church this morning and was pleased with the result:
Try not to pay too much attention to the messy desk:)!
This morning was lovely - It's so wonderful to get back into singing with the choir and generally misbehaving in the choir loft.  St. J's has a great congregation and it's fun to be back in touch with everyone after a long and somewhat eventful summer! 
Also, had a wonderful phone call from Vicki in New Haven about a serious, yet hilarious subject I'm not talking about here:)!
Well, off to the grocery store - about 2/3 of our gang are coming to dinner and I am making my famous meatloaf:) (well, not exactly famous, but the gang likes it). Better get going - the house is its usual mess! Yikes!
Until next post, God (however you understand Her) be with you 'til we meet again.
+

Comments

joannamauselina said…
i'm off to the grocery store too! And gearing up for the first choir practice of the season this evening. The shawl looks great.

Popular Posts