Knitting at Night

It has been awhile, hasn't it? Well, once you take off for any period of time, you pay for it in one way or another. Unfortunately, it took a while to completely get all my energy back, but now that it is, I am going great guns. Since last we met, dear 2.5 readers, I have been scrambling to get my head above water at work.  And it hasn't been a lot of fun.  But I now I have the energy to do what I need to do, and I have a plan with which to do it. Once that happens, as long as I do what I need to do, things should be fine - or as fine as the Universe allows:)
The video to the right of an old lady and her knitting is yours truly.  I decided to do a continental version of the videos that Colin does (without his intelligence and witty conversation unfortunately), but because it's so late right now as I type this, I was extremely quiet.  Seriously, I don't usually speak that quietly! Really:)  What you see me knitting (actually I'm on a purl row here) is Dark and Stormy by Baby Cocktails.  It's at the point where you need to divide the body from the sleeves (schweet!) and then merrily knit on down. 
This summer has been fairly quiet as far as music goes.  Our music director (Nancy) is on vacation a couple of times in the summer and the choir goes on hiatus except for the odd ensemble doing a service or two.  So far, I've played with the intergenerational band and sung and rung with the choirs each time just once. This summer seems to have sped by in so many ways, especially since I seem to need more time at work for so many big projects coming to roost in August!
For those of you who might be interested in any weight loss surgery news, as I said in earlier posts, the surgery went very well, no complications and things appear to be working as they should.  I can now eat solid foods, but have to be very careful to chew of course.  Cannot wolf down food as I used to! So far, I've lost approximately 50 pounds (US) from my top weight and about 40 post-op. I'm hoping to get down 10 more pounds by the end of the summer, but whatever the pace is, I'm happy things are going in the right direction.  Those of you who have never had to deal with being heavy: this part will probably bore you, but it might give you a view from the "other" side. 
The pics at the right are from March, June, mid-June, and last week, respectively. Notice there are no full body shots.  No thank you:)

Right now I am starting to notice the little things: moving more easily, actually liking my walks outside (when it's not too hot, LOL:)), fitting back into clothes I haven't worn for three or more years, reaching the far spots in the shower (LOL!), sitting in booths in restaurants without pretending I don't fit, having more energy in general. And never really being hungry if you can believe that. The joke I make among my friends is that right now I'm wearing clothes from 2000 to 2009.  Pretty soon, I'll be into the 90s and when I get to the 80s stuff (if there is any left!) I'm going shopping. Pointy shoulder pads are not for this camper! 
Of course there are down sides to this: I have to be VERY careful not to eat too much fat or too much sugar/carbs with fat. My gut will do terrible things to me if I don't pay attention.  I have been making good choices in that department from day one.  Unfortunately, sometimes I don't realize how much fat something has and had one rather nasty incident one night.  thankfully I was home! There are some things I still cannot eat without having them come back to me: overcooked chicken and steak. Still too soon for that. You don't want to know how I know this:) A forum/website/podcast that has been very helpful to me is Bariatric Support TV ( bariatrictv.com). It was started by three friends - a married couple and another woman. The two women are in their eight year post-op for bariatric surgery.  They and a number of other veterans who add their voices and insights to the podcast and the online forums (fora?) provide an excellent source of support, information and encouragement to other "surgically altered freaks" (a fond term of art used by this group who came of age in the late 80s). The information I found on the forum about the "three-week plateau" helped me not to feel so crazy when the scale said I wasn't losing weight while my clothes said just the opposite.  This will be a long process. Wherever it ends, I'm fine with it, because it's better than where I was and where I am right now.

KNITTING:)
I have been doing a lot of that - and some crocheting too
First, another view or two of Dark and Stormy before the Great Divide.  I am flying by the seat of my pants with this pattern.  I chose the largest size which would normally still be too small for me. I like extra room in my sweaters and come to think of it, my clothes as well:) Gotta have something decent for transition!






The colors at the right were supposed to be for the Westknits KAL.  The Columbia Sip 'n Knit group are doing this together.  But I decided to use these lovelies to knit a Spectra Scarf which I shall begin tonight.

This bag 'o loveliness contains the makings of a granny square afghan for our daughter, S, for her own apartment when she moves there next week. Hopefully I'll be done by then!








As you can see, I have not gotten very far with Jared Flood (Brooklyn Tweed)'s Rock Island.  Still on that Looonnnggggg lace edging. I'm going to have to block the CRAP out of this for it to look like the shawl in the picture!
 This is the first clue done on Stephen West (Westknits)'s Mystery KAL that our "Sip 'n Knit" is doing. I really like these colors- they are in St. Denis-Boreale, fingering weight wool produced by Veronik Avery.
 This is the beginning of the Saroyan scarf.  It's a fun little knit that I take with me to court for down times between the dockets. The other thing I bring is the Rock Island.The yarn is a cute bunch of acrylic I picked up a long time ago and didn't know what to do with it.  The pattern is lovely and simple and the yarn is not bad.:)










 There are two more patterns I plan on starting within the next week.  Those are Eadon by Susanna IC (available in the current issue of the Twist Collective) and the Hourglass Throw by Anne Hanson. I am using yarn I was going to use for EZ's Green Sweater, but it wasn't to be.
Well, never let it be said that I stick to the same color scheme!:)





Well dear readers, it's very late and I'm going to turn into a pumpkin soon.  So, until next time,  God be with you, 'til we meet again!
+





Comments

Unknown said…
Much to my surprise I got quite choked watching you. I really would love to meet you in person.

I have no idea what you were doing with your hands and needles! Signature needles tho, yes?
In my email, I saw the whole post but couldn't click on the video.
Lovely to see you as always and am so happy for you that the weight loss surgery is working.The probelms you describe with food are what I have normally anyway!
xoxo and hugs
joannamauselina said…
I am glad to hear that things are going so well, but that is what I expected. The knitting is impressive. I am still slogging along on the same sweater.
Retired Knitter said…
You look great and more importantly you feel pretty good. I can see it in the pictures. Congrads.

Popular Posts