Finished and Free:)


 I just finished another scarf, only this time I designed it myself and shared it on ravelry for free. It's the EdgingScarf (called that because about 2/3 of the scarf is its edging, LOL!).  I used some lovely fingering/light sport weight wool yarn from Knitman's Kitchen in a pale grey/blue that was a lot of fun to knit.  The pattern is really nothing great: about 8 rows of seed stitch, a few attempts at some lace patterns for about 12 -16 rows length-wise and then 8 more rows of seed stitch followed by an edging pattern on each long end.  Yet it turned out OK and I will definitely wear it when the weather gets cooler. Shout out to Colin: I have a LOT left of that cone and will put it to good use - love this yarn and btw, my friend, you could knit this easily! (provided you can read my directions).  If you see anything amiss, please let me know and I will make what corrections I can.
Here is a link to the pattern .pdf page.

 Well, since last I wrote, dear however many of you there are, life has been busy, as it no doubt should be:)  However, my evenings have been just a little less hectic.  Last Sunday, when I left you, I was about to embark on an evening at the Meyerhoff where the BSO, two really really good soloists (Janice Chandler-Eteme, Soprano and Stephen Powell, Baritone) and The Washington Chorus.  Maestra Marin Alsop conducted both - and what outstanding pieces they were! To start with, my choir friend, Barb M, had box seats - something I'd never experienced before - so as I said to someone before, they could have played "Chopsticks" and I would have been pretty impressed.  But of course both of these pieces of music were incredible works of art in their own times. 

The first was Knoxville: Summer of 1915 op. 24, something I am tempted to call programme music, but is something so much more. A poem by James Agee, interwoven with music by Samuel Barber, and sung  very ably by Ms. Chandler-Eteme, the words and music each leave off where the other begins, the instrumental parts underscoring the underlying meaning of the words of what seems to be an innocuous poem about a childhood memory; and leaves the listener with the pain of farewell and the loneliness of maturity echoing in the ears and in the heart. I love Agee's works; Barber has always tugged at my heartstrings.  The two together in a well performed piece are devastatingly beautiful.

The next, larger piece was the Brahms Requiem. Since hearing this beloved work, I have heard the words, "Denn alles Fleisch ist wie Gras" ("for all flesh is like the grass") and the accompanying tune in my head all week.  Brahms is one of my favoritest ever composers.  Brahms' choices of biblical texts evoke a much kinder and gentler Creator than those reflected in the more Catholic Dies irae  sections of the Masses by Mozart and even later, that of Faure' (although it almost seems that his dies irae  was thrown in as an obligatory nod to orthodoxy; his Faure's Requiem is a study in the joy of Heaven - or at least it is to me:)).

Conducting such an enterprise cannot be easy; you have a professional orchestra, professional soloists and a huge (for-the-most- part non)professional choir.  Creating unity of sound among such competing entities and interests is a study in control. Marin Alsop conquered this task admirably, alternately encouraging the choir and pushing them on to greater heights while being mindful of the limitations of even the best. The Washington Choir rose to the occasion, performing very well.  The soloists were wonderful.
In short, the evening was a blast!
Afterwards, I went to Barb's house and had some dinner (since my family had long since eaten and gone home if they had come over) and chatted about a number of things until the late hours of the night, at which point, I got my bad self home!

The week has been a little more than most: I was covering for my two colleagues who were out of town on vacations, but it wasn't too bad.  Thankfully, summer is here and traffic is nowhere near as bad as it is during the schoool year (at least I hope this keeps up, LOL!)

Last night until about a few hours ago, I babysat the grandgirls so their parents could have a night out and then get to work this morning.  Other than that, and my usual round of visits, frantic calls to social workers and court, not much new.

On the knitting front, once I finished the scarf above, I did add one more project (well, maybe two) and kept working on the Sandrine - I'm at the 4/1 ribbing at the bottom (am doing 15 rows instead of 5 and have 3 more to go) and should soon start the sleeves and finishing.  So I should have another FO soon.  I've also started the Miralda's Triangular Shawl from Knitted Lace of Estonia by Nancy Bush.

I've also added the Kernel pattern from Knitty.com.  So far, I've gotten to the beaded rows and have started the main scarf pattern.  It's in Tofutsies sock yarn and in a color I don't normally knit, but sometimes you just have to think outside the box.:)















Well, dear readers, that's all I have for today.  Enjoy what's left of the weekend and I will write again soon, I hope:)! In the meantime, God be with you 'til we meet again.
+

Comments

Anonymous said…
Joan, your scarf is beautiful! Thank you for sharing it! - patty
Unknown said…
Yes, it is beautful! I just bound off a small scarf--Not blocked yet--and i am itching to start another.. it must be something in the water!
hi from Switzerland,
I love it too, it looks fantastic.. all the best Christa
Thanks everyone! Hope it knits up well!

Popular Posts