Wherefore Bloggest Thou?


A month or so ago, I was talking with a friend about the whole Facebook, MySpace, Twitter phenomena and the business of blogging - whether it was appropriate for me to do it. I was concerned that perhaps I was opening myself up to situations that I might not like. I was worried that clients might feel free to openly discuss things that should not be discussed publicly. I started worrying that not-so-friendly friends/relatives/etc. of clients might not have the best intentions were they to contact me.

This is a friend whose opinion I value. Her take: it's all an ego trip - an ego trip that causes more problems than it's worth. After considering that point of view, I felt rather bad. I thought perhaps I should just shut it all down. And I did - everything, that is, except for the blogging. Eventually I got back on Facebook - if only to remain in touch with family, friends and other who are far away or whom I don't see regularly. I also occasionally "tweet" as can be seen here and on my other blog, which is a mirror image of this one.

I didn't stop blogging because, although her point about it being an ego trip, is undoubtedly true, blogging for me (and I expect for many) has a therapeutic value. I started blogging because a few years back, my older kids were blogging and that was their way of allowing me to visit what was going on in their heads. I was experiencing all sorts of things - with work, my spiritual life, and my family life- that were confusing the hell out of me. I figured if I talked about "things," I could figure out a way to make sense of them. I wrote short poems, using the least number of words I could to describe what was going on in my crazy head. Those blogs are no longer in existence. Over time, I started blogging because I wanted to keep a diary online - a memento, if you will, of the times of my life and that of my family. I really didn't expect anyone to really give a darn about it - it was really no ego trip, just a way to look at our life together as a family - and separately as individuals. (OK, yeah, and to document some of my knitting stuff, LOL:)).

A few years ago, I wrote about the fact that often people who cannot express themselves in person to others in their lives can often say in the written word what is in their hearts. I thought of W.C. Fields - the movie actor who was notorious for hating kids - and the movingly loving letters he wrote his own son. For me, blogging is a way to stop for a second, take a look at this life we lead, and try like hell to make sense of it. Maybe it's a way for me to tell the people I love how much I love them.

Both before and after law school, life was a struggle - a serious struggle - for survival, physical, emotional, and spiritual survival. It was a balancing act and I was constantly dropping the ball. Never was everything where and what it should be. It is not hyperbole when I tell you that just thinking about those times exhausts me. There was barely time to communicate with my own husband, let alone to stop and smell the roses.

Now, I have just a little more time. Or maybe I don't - who knows? But I do know one thing: whoever said that the unexamined life is not worth living had something ....

So, dear readers, take what you want from this and leave the rest. I love you all.

God be with you 'til we meet again!

+

Comments

Unknown said…
I blog, because sometimes i am so amazed at knitting(and felt i had no one to talk to about it)

I blog for me, and i am always pleased and in a way, surprised that anyone else reads what i write, let alone comments.

sure blogging is a bit of an ego trip.. but so is putting on lipstick and make up!
Unknown said…
To be blunt your friend is talking bollocks and I would suggest it is she/he who is on the ego trip. Who else but someone with an over inflated ego would make such a judgement upon others?

you are too nice Joan and are too ready to think it's you. It's not. It's your 'friend'.
Thanks to both of you for your comments! I love what you said, Helen about putting on lipstick and makeup - for me that is also an exercise in hoping against hope, LOL:)
Colin - thank you:) You are correct in that I tend to allow others to do that from time to time. In fairness to the friend, I don't think she was talking about me personally. At least I hope not -that would be awful! I think she was talking in general. And like you, I too think it's - what's the word? - Bollocks!:)
joannamauselina said…
I agree with Helen and Colin absolutely. I love your blog, and consider you and Colin my friends, even though we have never met. I am inspired by your thought, struggles, and successes. Your blog is a presence in my life.
Unknown said…
Please don't stop blogging. I so much enjoy your thoughts and hearing about a different kind of life from my own. I completely understand your qualms about confidentiality. I could write about a jillion funny and sad topics if I were not concerned about the confidentiality of my students, both as a matter of law and of damaging relationships.
Joanna and Jane - thank you both for your comments also! I had no intention of stopping blogging - the comments of a dear friend just got me thinking. I think blogging for me is therapeutic and just think, I have "met" some wonderful people, including all the commenters here online! I have caught up with old friends and made new ones. The internet is like any invention: it can be used for good and for bad. I am so blessed to have found the good!
Jane - I so get what you say about confidentiality - which is why I don't ever give the correct details about anything regarding work! I'm so glad you feel the same about your students!
Take care,
Joan

Popular Posts