Clouds

Remember that song Judy Collins used to sing - "Both Sides Now?" that wonderful song by Joni Mitchell:

Rows and flows of angel hair 
And ice cream castles in the air 
And feather canyons ev'rywhere 
I've looked at clouds that way

But now they only block the sun
They rain and snow on ev'ryone 
So many things I would have done 
But clouds got in my way
I've looked at clouds from both sides now 

From up and down, and still somehow 
It's cloud illusions I recall 
I really don't know clouds at all

Moons and Junes and Ferris Wheels
The dizzy dancing way you feel
As ev'ry fairy tale comes real
I've looked at love that way
But now it's just another showYou leave 'em laughing when you goAnd if you care, don't let them knowDon't give yourself away
I've looked at love from both sides now 
From give and take, and still somehow 
It's love's illusions I recall I really don't know love at all

Tears and fears and feeling proud 
To say "I love you" right out loud 
Dreams and schemes and circus crowds
I've looked at life that way

But now old friends are acting strange 
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained 
In living ev'ry day

I've looked at life from both sides now 
From win and lose and still somehow 
It's life's illusions I recall
I really don't know life at all

I've looked at life from both sides now 
From up and dawn, and still somehow 
It's life's illusions I recall 
I really don't know life at all

That song still speaks volumes for me. It's kind of sad; often what we think is reality is actually something else.  For many, cloudy days and rain are a downer, but look at the vibrant green this is bringing about.  How can that get you down? 
Today was a fairly quiet day.  Last night we got some bad news - a dear lady I know was recently diagnosed with metastatic cancer.  I'm at the point in my life where I hear this kind of news more and more and it never gets easier.  Cannot imagine what a maestrom of emotions she must be going through!
Once I got done with work today, I practiced flute for the first time in a long time -and boy did it
 sound like it! Luckily, no one was around to hear it - just the way I like it.  Good news: the new case did the trick - no mildew smell or taste and the flute is safe and secure nestled in its snug little bed. The outside pocket is meant to hold a piccolo.  That may happen in the future, but for now it's holding cleaning supplies and a shoulder strap.  I know, right? Crazy!  But I like it.














I have a lot of catching up to do and work on fingering, tone and scales/arpeggios, but one step at a time.  The thing to do is to be consistent.  That's what works for me and with enough opportunities to practice, I should be back to my old playing self, which is fine - no professional by any means, but OK.  
Tonight was bell practice.  There weren't many of us there tonight, but we had a decent practice and got done early.  I bet Nancy was happy - she is doing so much work getting ready for the 17th- between extra rehearsals with the choir and additional ones for the soloists, she is one busy lady.  
I have been doing a little knitting - a few more rows here and there - As soon as I'm done with this post, I've got to fix a jog in the lace pattern (probably dropped a yarn over somewhere - I'll find it) and get some inches on that thing.
I've also got a picture of the baby blankie beginning - now that we know it's going to be a boy, I decided to go completely sexist and do medium and light blue and some of the leftover Solstice in winter white that I used for Nancy's shawl - it's soft and an organic cotton that should wash well. The pattern is fairly simple, but interesting enough not to be too deadly, LOL:)  As you can see, I'm using the lace pattern from Knitting Goes Large (yes, I have bought the book and have only made a copy of the page so I don't have to lug the book around everywhere I go:))














Well, that's all I have from cloudy, raining, dreary-looking-but-alive-inside Merlin.  I will be back soon.  Until then, well, you know the drill....GBWYTWMA
+

Comments

joannamauselina said…
I'm glad to hear that the moldy taste is gone. I had that taste in my dinner at work last night. Yuck! I love that song too. I used to hear it in the grocery store and never knew what it was. Then when I found out, I liked it even better.
joannamauselina said…
PS. The tree and cloud pictures are indeed lovely. A cloudy day is my favorite.
Thanks, Joanna:) It has definitely been more of a pleasure to focus on my rather rusty flute playing than a rusty taste in my mouth.
I usually love cloudy days too, but when you have sooooo many - how does that work in the rainy Pacific Northwest.

Popular Posts