Peace but not quiet

That's what I'm hoping for:) Thanks for your comments the other day.  It all still seems so unreal - all the more so because the friends who have lost their son live in New Hampshire, so far away. 
Today was very quiet on the workfront - a few calls and preparing for tomorrow.  K and D came over and we just finished a little supper.  They are in the next room watching "Maine Street"  - a great little film with an all-star cast, one of the first to feature Phillip Seymour Hoffman (hope I spelled that right) pre-Capote.  It takes place in a small town in New England. I am so homesick for that part of the country and wish I could be there with Paul and Cindy this weekend, but so far it looks like I will be supporting them from afar.
Yesterday, the weather illustrated what was going on inside - grief, pain, joy, and a sense of expectation.  I don't know why, but I have the feeling that I am about to cross a threshold. What kind, and into what I don't know. It's as if there's someone screaming something in my ear and I cannot hear him or her, but soon I will and then I'll know what I'm noticing beneath the surface. Not well put, but that's it.

I've been working on that February Lady Sweater for D and I've discovered something I've always suspected but now know for sure: I am not a fan of garter stitch.  I'm almost done with that section of the sweater and cannot wait for the lace pattern.

Well, tonight is choir practice and I am so grateful to be going.  We're starting on the Bach in earnest now - only a few weeks to go - and doing some extra Saturday rehearsals for which I am eternally grateful! Tomorrow is court - early, so I'd better get going.  Back to you soon, dear 3.5 readers.  Until then, God be with you 'til we meet again - and if the Spirit moves you, think on my dear friends in NH and send good thoughts their way!
+



Comments

joannamauselina said…
I love bad weather, and you pictures are wonderful illustrations of my very favorite sort - bad but not really bad. They handed out Christ Lag in Todesbanden this evening at practice, and it was awfully hard. Since our children's choir sings a couple of movements, I was totally unprepared for any problems. I was just happy to turn the pages on time. So we will be singing the same thing. :)
Unknown said…
I hope to start my February sweater tomorrow.. (and yeah, i know the yoke is going to suck... garter gets boring quick for me, too)

but it works.. that sweater looks good on everyone!
Joanna - Oh boy - I get the feeling you all are singing that Alleluia at the end of the first section at the same breakneck speed as the Monteverdi Chorus! We are limping along. BTW, I have created a Guide to German Pronunciation for my choir (arrogant and presumptuous, right?) and a side by side comparison of the German Text/word-for-word translation and transliteration of the Easter Cantata here: http://fuguestateknits.wordpress.com/miscellany/
This blog and all the others I have had before it are copied there along with some other things like that. Don't know if it would help. Got some great comments from ChoralKnitters on Ravelry!
And re: the weather - like you, it's my favorite.
Oh BTW, I'm finally going back to singing alto for this piece (was sent to be a tenor but without the proverbial cahunas (SP?).
Take care,
Joan
Helen - how's the FLS going? This is one of those sweaters that i think I'd prefer to knit bottom up, LOL! That way the garter would be constantly DECREASING!
But it's not too bad, LOL!
I'm just glad it's going to be over soon.
Take care and thanks for the tutorial on your blog - it's really good!
joannamauselina said…
Actually, we are singing it in English! Are you shocked? We sing Latin in Latin and most other things in English. We all limped along at the practice. I started working on it at home, and it is pretty weird - the intervals, I mean. You can't guess what is coming like you can in Handel. Our post Easter music is mostly Bach and Handel, which is nice.

Popular Posts