Slipping one in before the New Year starts!

This week has been one of recuperation and rest.  I'd like to say I've gotten a lot done.  Nope. But I know what I have to do and it's a bit daunting.  And I'm not even talking about knitting, LOL! A number of my friends have made predictions for 2009, some of them funny, some not so much.  I don't dare do that - I don't even know myself completely, since that is changing every nanosecond - so how can I even begin to get an idea of what's to come?  And in the words of the immortal Stuart Smalley, created by the possibly-soon-to-be-Senator-from-Minnesota Al Franken, "that's O....K..."  Thank goodness I don't know what's to come - because it leaves the number of possibilities at virtually infinite - and that's a good thing!
Tonight, if I get myself together, I'm going to head next door and celebrate part of the New Year with my next door neighbors.  John will be working, although there are no parties scheduled at the hotel and the fireworks display has been postponed to tomorrow evening thanks to the incredibly high winds we are having (Thanks, Canada - I knew I liked ya:)!).  D and C who live in (ironically) DC, will be hanging out with friends and partying in DC.  Some of the "kids and grands" may come here to hang out with each other.  I'm not babysitting tonight for the first time in a long time and that's really OK with me.  New Year's Eve is a time for me to relax, spend a little time with friends and then hunker down to watch the boob tube, do a little knitting and have a glass or two of vino.  Tomorrow we'll probably do the ham dinner and gathering with the kids.  
I have a few New Year's resolutions - or perhaps better stated, some goals for the year. They are not majestic goals, but bit by bit, they might make life a little more meaningful:
In 2009, I would like:

* to be more present in the moment, to family and friends (OK, that's the last new-agey one)
* to learn more Spanish
* to practice flute a little more
* to learn to play the violin correctly
* to eat in a healthy way
* to drink a little less
* to make my way through the Child Welfare Law and Practice Manual
* to improve my work and practice habits
* to be a better Grandma and Mom and, hell, even wyf
* to spend time with friends more
* to finish Stephen Ministry training and do the best job I can there
* to prayerfully consider what my next career steps will be
* to finish knitting and other projects already begun
* to use up my stash of yarn 
* to pay better attention at choir and bell practice
* to develop my prayer life
* to do the third year of EfM (well, it begins in Sept)
* to be a better friend

Oh dear, I'm already exhausted.  :) As for one of the above goals, I have made some progress on the Fair Isle Yoke Sweater.   You can also see a close-up of the yoke details so far. I'm starting to like this sweater and I think it'll fit Nancy fairly well.  All that grey was starting to get on my nerves, but the fair isle fun part, though slow going, is fun.  I figure I should be done by our next choir rehearsal and I can give it to her then - within the 12 days of Christmas  - and in better time than her sweater last Christmas (which she got in February - yikes!).  
Do not be fooled by what appears to be hair rollers at the armpits.  They are merely stitch holders - and represent the little bit of stitching up I will have to do at the end.  I love these bohus-style sweaters.  There was a time I knocked one out for myself in the space of two weeks.  I must be falling down on the job:)
Well, dear 3.5
readers, wishing you all the blessings that God can give you in 2009 - and may She be with you 'til we meet again!
Peace+
FSK

Popular Posts