I love this kind of day

At 7:30 a.m. I get a call from a colleague in another county who cannot be two places at once (they never taught us that in law school, sorry, Judge) who needs me to cover a shelter hearing. I'm on call in my county, so I have to wait to see if I have a shelter hearing. I find out I don't, so I'm OK to help out in her jurisdiction. So ....shelter hearing is at 1:30
I hit the ground running (ok, schlepping) to a meeting near DSS (at Panera), which lasted too long because we all just chatted a bit too much, but we did get things done. Then another meeting in our city office - which I have to cut short because I'm running to court. Off to my colleague's office to grab the file and then to court in plenty of time, meet the client (age 4), have the hearing, then go home.
whoosh!
Not a lot of hard work, just a lot of running around. But I would do anything for Connie - she got me started in this work and I owe her big time! Besides, I'll take this kind of practice over sitting behind a desk any day!
It was nice getting to my old stomping grounds if only for one little (uncontested) hearing. There were a few changes - a new Master (who was in my class at Law School and is one of the nicest people you could ever meet - and no, I'm not saying that because he's now on the bench, LOL - it's one of those things that when someone does well, you think ("YES!") and it just makes you happy for them because you know they deserve it.) It was also nice to see some of the people from DSS and the courthouse I used to work in a few years ago.
I got home and got to see John for a while before heading to Diane's house for dinner. Diane invited a bunch of us who helped her during her recovery from surgery to dinner. This was the fourth dinner she had done and it was unbelievably good! After a four-course meal of Mexican food delights, she topped it off with a carrott cake - her mother's recipe! She is so talented - I'm lucky if I can make hot dogs without salmonella! Sally and Charlie and Mimi from choir were there, and two friends - Kathy and Janie - from Diane's Single Again group were also there. Janie just got over some rough surgery herself, so it was a time of thanksgiving. Diane sang a Jewish blessing for those of the group who were Jewish and Charlie said an impromptu Xian grace. The company was lovely and I know everyone enjoyed themselves! It was really good to see everyone. It's funny, during the summer I don't get to see as much of the choir members as I usually do during the year, so this was a special treat.
The weather this week has been just stunningly beautiful from the 60s to the 80s (F), not the grueling summer heat we've been having since early June. I am so grateful - and thinking of my friends spending the next couple/few weeks "down de ocean, hun" and glad they can really enjoy their time there - and that John is not keeling over from the noonday sun when he mows the lawn!! (And bless him for doing that).
In the meantime, the summer is slowing down to an August hum. I haven't gotten a lot of knitting done the past couple of days, but that will change soon:)I hope, dear 2.5 readers, that your summer is what you need it to be! Peace Pax Friede Pace +

Comments

Popular Posts