YIKES!:) How about I break the silence with a little bit about what I've been knitting these last six months?

I'd tell you I cannot believe it's been over six months since my last blogpost, but of course I believe it. It's been more than six months and not because I haven't been knitting! I have been knitting like a madwoman (as in late at night, under the influence of red wine and never getting enough sleep). What I haven't really done is write about it.

And yes, I did finish that wonderful baby blanket for my friend's Diane's darling little granddaughter. She did me the kindness of sending a picture of her in it.  What an adorable baby:)! Not surprised, given the incredible good looks with which everyone in that family has been blessed. This was my first "commissioned" work and it took up a lot of my knitting time, but it was worth every minute!

As usual, I seem to collect knitting projects like lint on velvet.  I finish one project and three or four others spring up to take its place, LOL!
Since finishing this baby blanket, I've also finished three other projects:

Erigeneia by Silke Terhorst:


The yarn for this project was a bunch of leftover yarn I got at a yarn swap about a year ago.  I liked how the colors blended, so I set it all aside to knit or crochet a shawl that might lend itself to a gradient-like color pattern.  The pattern seemed to be just the thing I was looking for! It took no time at all to crochet.  The colors were perfect for my daughter, S, so she has made good use of is. 



OMG what's not to like about anything Melanie Berg designs! There's not one of her patterns I don't love.  The yarn used here is grey cotton dishie from Knit Picks and two colors of Berroco Comfort  - both machine-washable. The Berroco Comfort was cannibalized from another project (it started as part of a fair isle project; then I discovered I'd have to either knit back and forth or steek non-felting yarn, neither a pleasant prospect). I love the colors for this.  Because I knitted in a worsted weight, rather than fingering, the knitting got done sooner and that was just fine with me.

and a Yew Tree Cowl:

Another free ravelry pattern knit with this delightful angora I picked up at  - yes a yarn swap! Delightful to knit and there were leftovers  - used for a pop of color for the Anni Cuffs below.  (Never waste pink angora. Never.) The upper photo is a better indication of the actual yarn color. 


So naturally, it follows that I have picked up about a dozen projects.

Greenwood in a bright cherry red Berroco Vintage yarn (more about that later);
Anni Cuffs in leftover yarns (love this pattern);
Grace Infinity Scarf out of a Caron cake:

A few others I really haven't begun yet (I'm terrible about posting sock projects on ravelry, don't know why that is); and finally

Flax by Tincanknits in some lovely Donegal Tweed yarn straight from Ireland!
This last is going to a client of mine in foster care.  He's a toddler who has had a number of physical issues and is now with a pre-adoptive family, doing incredibly well.  The foster mom had received this yarn as a gift from her parents when they returned from a trip to Ireland, but she didn't have time to knit anything, so she gave the wool to me when I went to visit my client at her home.  It seems only right that this little guy should get a sweater out of the deal:).

Am really enjoying the Greenwood pattern.  It's the first time I've knitted a sweater side-to-side. At least it's the first time I've gotten this far in knitting a sweater side-to-side that I can remember. I might have tried in the past, but got easily distracted by something shiny...(oh look - a chicken!)...
I've been fairly monogamous with this project, with the occasional sock or the above Flax (with the immediate gratification inherent in knitting things for small people).  It has required a lot of concentration and though the stitch pattern is rather simple, lending itself to extensive TV knitting, one does need to pay attention.  Ask me how I know. It's also important to make sure the front and the back match as far as width. The only difference between front and back is the neckline. Right now I am about 2/3 of the way through the back, and have finished the front. Then I will be sewing front to back (both sides include the sleeves) and then adding ribbing at bottom and cuffs and a cowl neck.  Am really looking forward to it.  As you can see from the link to the pattern page, it is not a sweater with extremely fine finishing.  It is meant to look rustic - at least I hope it is! I imagine it will be terrific over pants or a skirt and am hoping it gives me enough ease to be just shy of oversized. We shall see.

KNITTING RETREATS....


I attended the Columbia Sip 'n Knit's Fall Retreat at the Bishop Clagett Center in Adamstown, MD. I had a blast, the weather was great, the company fantastic, and the knitting was awesome!  No politics - there was a money jar with pics of Hilary and Trump in case anyone decided to violate that.  Luckily I went on a yarn shopping jaunt with a fellow liberal and we got it out of out respective systems in the car on the way;)!
But seriously, check out this view. Isn't it lovely?

And I'm going to another retreat in about four weeks from March 24-26 and I can't wait! This one is in West Virginia - I've never done the Spring retreat before, so it should be fun! The only downside is our beloved Annece will not be there, hopefully we'll sense her presence in spirit.

On the work front, it's been inordinately busy, which is a bit strange in that our caseloads haven't really increased, rather, we have had an influx of new cases, which are more labor-intensive.  And some of the older cases have presented with some more complex legal issues, requiring more time and effort on our parts. Hey, that's my job. I'm not complaining at all! Just explaining my absence from the blogosphere:).

FAMILY STUFF

Thanksgiving and Christmas were wonderful.  Our youngest was at her S.O.'s family for Thanksgiving, but they came for Christmas and it was terrific having everyone all together under one roof. The grandkids are young enough to still enjoy each other's company and the littler ones still look up to the older ones. I dread the day they all get too cool to hang out with us (wait, that's probably already happened, LOL!)

THE BIG APPLE AND VOGUE KNITTING LIVE!!!

This gets its own subtitle.:) John and I took a trip we have taken in the past - during the MLK holiday weekend - we went to NYC and stayed one of Marriott's hotels, which is always such a pleasure. Marriott is the best (yes, hubby works for them, and even if he didn't they're still great). We saw not one but TWO Broadway productions: On Friday we saw "Front Page" - an amazing production by a number of acting veterans from the stage, the silver, and the small screen.  On Sunday, we saw Waitress! OMG it was soooo good! 

So what happened Saturday? VOGUE KNITTING LIVE!!!! While John went out to explore Manhattan and see a movie, I went to a lecture about cables given by the brilliant and inimitable Norah Gaughan.  Her Knitted Cable Sourcebook featured prominently.  The lecture was about using one's imagination and working with various cable patterns to create something completely different. 

Afterwards, I browsed the Marketplace and may have bought a few things...  

John and I went to lunch nearby at the Olive Garden restaurant on Times Square where we could get a good view of the pedestrian traffic in the area; then back to Vogue Knitting for a class with one of my knitting heroines: 

AMY Freaking DETJEN!!! 

It was about the Rib Warmer vest/jacket, basically deconstructing it (well, that was the title of the class, LOL!) There were a number of Facebook friends present that afternoon.  I actually got Amy to autograph my copy of her and Meg Swansen's book, Knitting with Two Colors! It was such a treat to meet her in person.  She is a wonderful teacher and just a delight- and OMG so funny!

WASHINGTON, D.C.

No, sadly, I did not participate in the Women's March - I had an important skype meeting that morning with a client- but I was with them in spirit! What an awe-inspiring experience to see those pink "pussy hats" not only in D.C., but everywhere in the US, in Canada, and around the world! YES!

However, I did have the opportunity to stay in a beautiful (yes Marriott) hotel in D.C. last weekend.  John and I celebrated my (mumblety-third) birthday by watching our son perform in one of the most intense plays I have ever seen - he plays the young husband who with his young wife is invited for drinks in Edward Albee's Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolff at Ford's Theatre  - yes that Ford's Theatre.  We were in fabulous seats - and a brief glance upwards revealed the flag-draped box seats where our (truly) great President Lincoln met his terrible fate. 

I have at this point in my son's acting career told him numerous times that I (a total non-professional, of course) assess his acting ability by the extent to which I do not see him as my son, but as the character he portrays. This experience was a new level of incredible for me. A three-hour play, every moment took my full attention. When we had dinner afterwards - he and his beloved Serena, John and I - the conversation turned to the play, what we each saw in each of the characters, the plot and its incredible twists and turns. We even forgot to ask him how HE was doing, LOL! 
So yeah, it was good.  Really good. Unfortunately, today is the last performance. But, like all good working actors, Dan has more gigs coming up in D.C. and in Baltimore.

AND IN OTHER NEWS....

Life keeps moving on and I'm glad to remain on the roller coaster.

Be well my friend, I will try to update this thing a bit more regularly. Until then,

God be with you 'til we meet again +

Comments

Popular Posts