Home Sweet Desk:)

Well I'm back from the annual Cherish the Child Conference in Harford County, hosted by the dear folks at the Mountain Christian Church.  It is always a delight to go to this conference,  learn a thing or two and come away fired up to keep up the fight  - and sadly a fight it sometimes is. But that is not a subject for conversation here.  You know I would never discuss a client.
Well, it has been quite an eventful week.  Or two.  
As for my living situation, there is yet a bit of hope that we might remain here for at least another year and if extremely lucky, longer. But that remains to be seen. Needless to say, I am hopeful.
Getting back to the conference: it was really great.  Much of it was about networking outside of the work sphere, learning a few new things, and getting information packets, trinkets, and a years supply of pens/refrigerator magnets;)! All of which happened for me today.
Our keynote speaker (Erin Merryn)  was a victim of childhood sexual abuse.  She was one of the "lucky" ones in that she had parents who loved her, and believed her and supported her.  Unfortunately, her abuser convinced her that wasn't going to happen. Thankfully, a supportive group at the Child Advocacy Center in her area gave her her voice - and what a voice it was! She is the founder of Erin's Law - a requirement that schools teach children to TALK when someone the love and trust abuses them - that tells children they will be BELIEVED!
I am ashamed that my state of Merlin (MARYLAND) has failed to pass this law because someone in the education committee has decided that he or she does not like educational mandates.  If you have Erin's Law before your legislature, no matter where you are, please please please let your Senator and Congressperson know, this bit of education might save LIVES!!
I also sat through a presentation on how to parent a child who has been traumatized.  It was quite informative.  I also heard a presentation on how to properly gather information for the prosecution of a child physical and/or sexual abuse case. Many thanks to this presenter for her insights.  I left her presentation determined to do the very best I could to advocate for children.
Of course, knitting happened.  I knitted throughout the first presentation and also the second. A fellow knitter (a school counselor who had started a group of knitters in the middle school where she works} and I had a wonderful talk about how knitting, rather than acting as an "opiate of the masses," provided a place of comfort for those who are indeed engaged in the problems of this world. I totally turned her on to Cat Bordhi - and really, how bad can that be?:) So....  I did get a wee bit done on this:
But you know what? I will finish the Ommegang, so I can use those No. 7 US needles to make the sleeves for this little lovely Garland Necklace Yoke Sweater so I can move along quickly once I get tothe armholes.  Hey call me crazy.
Well, I'd better chill out and do a little knitting before I head for bed.  Tomorrow is a day of visits and getting ready for a hearing or two on Monday. So I'd better get going.
See you soon, dear 2.5. Until then, God be with you 'til we meet again:)

Comments

Popular Posts