Perfect weather for knitting and singing and LESLYE SOLOMON on KNITTING DAILY!!!!!


In about a half hour, I am headed over to St. John's for an extra "kwar" rehearsal.  Easter is only a few weeks away (or as Nancy S. would say - 'tomorrow morning') and I need all the help I can get.  I was supposed to get up early and head over to the Mall to hang out with my Columbia Sip n Knit buddies at Panera, but I overslept - not a bad thing, given that I woke up after three and half hours of sleep yesterday.  So before I head out to improve my not-so-good sight reading and actually learn some of these pieces, I thought I'd post a few things about knitting of course - I am off the clock!:)

In the mode of Dr. Gemma of the Cognknitive Podcast, something I really really like lately is the new Knitting Daily show and format.  Vickie Howell, the newest host of the show, adds a great deal of polish with just enough approachability make knitters and crocheters of any age feel right at home.  I enjoyed her earlier show, Knitty Gritty, though it was clearly meant for younger audience. (Though as a nod to us old farts, she included her mother in a few episodes and that was fun.) What I particularly like about the new format for the Knitting Daily Show is its nod to modern knitting - current fashion trends, technology (the "space to space" segment appears to be done via Skype and introduces us to a host of interesting people in the industry/blogosphere); at the same time, the show provides some excellent tips and technical assistance for the basics as well as the innovative.

This season's episode about sleeves is a case in point. There is an EXCELLENT tutorial artfully executed by Barry Klein, owner of Trendsetter Yarns on the topic of Japanese short rows in shaping a sleeve cap. (and BTW Barry, not that it is the main thing here, but lookin' good, buddy!)  And not for nothing, but it is fun to watch him knit with those gorgeous needles. They appear to be those lovely rosewood things. 
The Space to Space segment featured Techknitter (no names, just a picture - I like that she maintains her privacy even while appearing on TV!)  .

And OMG DRUM ROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL




LESLYE SOLOMON from , yes folks, the great state of Merlin, owner of the LYS in Glyndon,

Merlin, known as Woolstock Knit and Sew was on Knitting Daily! She did a terrific bit on sewing in that sleeve,  She made it look sooooo easy! She did such a great job.  No (apparent) nerves at all.  She totally demystified what has always been a bugaboo for me in finishing work.  Leslye is a teacher at a lot of the XRX-related gatherings and of course in her own shop.  I have been there and have actually had a long conversation with Leslye, who is a kindly gem of a human being.  She gave me some wonderful advice, not about knitting, but about getting adequate education for my granddaughter who has special needs. Anyone who advocates for children the way she has advocated for hers is a gem in my book! If you are ever in the Baltimore area, her shop is worth the little bit of a trip to Glyndon. Oh and did I mention, she carries some amazing yarns and supplies as well as sewing machines and other sewing-related items?  When you see someone good having good things happen for them, it does one's heart good.
So what else is new? I've made some progress on the two sweaters I have set as my March knitting goal (yes I know it's February, but I also know I have a full time job, people:)!)
I am off now for music practice and will probably take the Ommegang with me.  The sleeve for this is a bit less complex and I won't need to refer to the chart as much as it's more easily memorized.  
Well, dear reader, I hope you enjoy this weekend and that life is good to you.  See you soon, and 
God be with you 'til we meet again+

Comments

Popular Posts