From the Sublime to the Knitting

It is a cold, wet and wintry holiday weekend in Merlin.  We have been slightly dumped with snow - nothing like our poor neighbors to the north.  Since last I checked in, dear readers, I have finished up a week of hearings and visits, spent a Saturday doing a visit and a college applicant's interview for Middlebury College and stayed  inside (SOOO COOOLD)  and guess what? No trip to New Yawk!I have enough problems having  to drive in the snow and ice, but I'm not going to do it if I don't hafta, and neither is John, so the New York trip was canceled - just as well economically speaking, but not so good in terms of spending time with extended family.

But things here in Merlin are still hopeful and happy, as symbolized by the still blooming flowers
on my kitchen window sill:) Tomorrow will be a momentous day in our nation's history. And, although we Merliners are disappointed that the Ravens will not be going to the Superbowl this year, the majority of us are happy and excited that the right team is going to the White House - and really, folks, that's far more important!

Yesterday was a busy morning Sunday schedule - singing both services and ringing the introit. It was a lot easier as the coughing seems to have subsided, LOL!  The choir is trying to work together to come to some sort of agreement with the church/clergy as to how many services they are willing to sing in a given Sunday.  I don't want to say too much about it, because it's still tentative, but we shall see what we shall see.  I hope to be able to write more about it more publicly, because as you know, dear readers, I love my church community and love nothing more than writing about it, but some things will take time.
Last night, the "kids" came over for dinner - K and S did crafting with me in the kitchen while the rest of the gang watched the playoff game vs. the Steelers.  Oh well, better luck next year:(
Today was a lazy one.  I've been working on the Lace Ribbon Scarf and have added a few more inches (Family Team Decision Making meetings and mediations are both good places to bring knitting - I need something to do with my hands when I cannot/will not take notes!).
I am finally knitting out of need: I need a hat.  And gloves.  So, I decided to shop my stash and
cast on for the Meret .  I'm liking it so far:).  It's a relatively easy lace pattern.  The yarn I'm using came from a woman whose stash indeed did
exceed her life expectancy.  I do not know what her name was, but I do know that she was the mother of Ellen S., a dear friend and colleague of mine.  I know that this yarn sat in plastic bags for years in Ellen's closet because Ellen's mother died about a decade ago. Even with that, this lovely wool is knitting up fine.  It's a little scratchy, but I think it will soften up with cleaning once I finish the hat.  I took pictures of the label because I might want to see if I can find it on the web.  Hey, wool is wool. I asked Ellen if she wanted me to make something for her, but she said she'd be creeped out by it, so I'm respecting that and making something for myself.  There's
some grey, peach and blue yarn also in the group - I might try one of Kieran Foley's designs in a
scarf with the leftover pink.  This yarn is sport weight - I doubled it for the hat to get closer to gauge.  In the meantime, the hat is moving along quickly and I'm hoping to get it done by  tomorrow (famous last words).  I also want to finish the lace ribbon for Donna.  Soon.:) And then again, there are the gloves I need and I do so want to do Joanna R's Plum Gloves - they are so beautiful!

Well, great times tomorrow!
Until then, dear readers, God be with you - May She be with us all - 'til we meet again!
+

Comments

joannamauselina said…
Too bad about the trip to NY, but maybe not really too bad. Sometimes these disappointments end up being the best thing. The hat is looking good. Nice and pink. You can't go wrong with pink, is one of my mottoes. Is that really how you spell motto x 2? Singing two services is a lot of work. I do, and my Sunday is shot. I love it, or course, but I don't do much else that day besides a nap. J
I'm with you on the pink, Joanna - but I think for the gloves, I really like the darker color, and because I always get gloves wet, I figure something that won't felt in a darker color might be good. Cannot wait to cast on for them.
Our problem with singing two services is that we often don't have enough at the service we're supposed to be singing, given the family and work obligations of most of our volunteer choir. We're just not big enough for that in a small parish. We used to do the first, second and fifth (if any) Sundays at 9 and the 2nd and 4th Sundays at 11:15, which gave the "full Monty" as it were to everyone at different times - supplemented (of course) with children's instrumental groups, a children's choir (that used to be wonderful) and a bell choir. I think we have a "it's not broke, so let's break it" situation. sigh.
Oops!I meant the 3rd and 4th Sundays at 11:15 - but you get the picture!

Popular Posts